The food which we consume along with regular exercise is important.
Proper and sufficient diet with exercise enhances the benefits whereas improper intake ruins the benefits. So, it is necessary to understand which diet would better suit a gym goer. Diet is not consuming a lot of food to compensate the energy spent in the gym. It is compensating the nutrition loss with respect to the type of exercises you do in the gym.
Pre- workout nutrition
A strenuous workout often drains all the energy form the body and causes wear and tear of the muscles. Hence it is wise to make it a habit to have adequate energy giving foods before workout. Here are some tips of pre-workout nutrition.
1. Take care of the meal timings. Large meals need at least 3-4 hour gap before workout and lighter meals need 1-2 hour gap.
2. The best energy fuels are the carbohydrates.
Consume high and complex carbs prior workout which will breakdown directly into energy and help us during workout. Fats on the other side are slow digesting foods and there is no gain with these fats other than fat deposits which we do not want. Vegetables, fruits like banana, oranges, and apples could be consumed as a part of pre- workout nutrition.
3. Your diet should contain slow digesting proteins like eggs that will help during workout.
4. Keep yourselves hydrated. Drink adequate amount (400- 600ml) of fluids before workout and also carry a water bottle during workout.
5. Make sure you are not too full or too hungry.
Nutrition during workout
Hydration is the important part that should be constantly taken care during a workout session. Drinking fluids saves you from dehydration and sometimes there may be a need of carb and electrolyte (potassium and sodium) replacements. Consuming sports drinks could be beneficial and these drinks are broadly classified into three types:
1. Isotonic: These drinks supplement the electrolyte and carbohydrate loss through sweating during longer sessions of workouts.
2. Hypotonic: These fluids just replace the fluid and electrolyte loss but have no carbohydrates and best suit for rapid hydration.
3. Hypertonic: These have high carbohydrate level and pump up high dose of energy when consumed. These are often post workout drinks but if need to consume during workout; they have to be consumed along with isotonic drinks.
Post- workout nutrition
Post workout nutrition is the most vital part as it helps the muscles to build the tears back, be strong and prepared for the next workout sessions (this process is called adaptation). The main purpose of post workout nutrition is to replenish the muscle and liver glycogen, fluid and electrolyte loss through sweat and damage caused by exercise. The tips for post- workout nutrition are:
1. Balance the energy loss quickly by fluids like water, coconut water etc.
2. Supply electrolytes, glycogens and carbohydrates to your body immediately after workout.
3. Post- workout nutrition will have its effect only if consumed within few hours after exercise.
4. Fast digesting proteins like milkshakes should be consumed immediately and proper food should be consumed within thirty minutes of workout.
Just like all other workouts, even cardio exercises need pre and post workout nutrition
1. Never workout with an empty stomach.
2. Keep your body hydrated and supply enough glycogens and carbohydrates.
3. Manipulate your diet according to the intensity of the cardio exercise.
Exercise and diet are both important to anyone whose goal is to stay fit. Neglecting either of these could have a bad impact on health. So with these tips one can effectively plan the workout and diet to stay fit.